BARBARA VADEN SPROULL, homemaker and community volunteer
Born: Christmas Day, 1926, Anniston
• The widow of Horace Miller Sproull Jr., who died in 2008, she is the daughter of Thomas Hunt Vaden, who married Eula Crook in 1925 and lived in a house where the Quintard Hardee’s restaurant is now.
Vaden worked for the power company.
• Eula Crook’s parents were Samuel L. Crook, who was a first cousin once removed to James F. Crook. Crook was a business partner of Dr. T.W. Ayers in the Jacksonville Republican, later moved to Anniston to become The Anniston Star. They had bought it from Mr. Crook’s father.
• Samuel L. Crook was cousin to a Calhoun County probate judge, Emmett F. Crook. They had a daughter, Margaret, who married Ned Almond, later to become Gen. Almond, aide to Gen. Dwight Eisenhower. Gen. Almond retired in Anniston.
• Barbara Vaden Sproull’s late husband, known as Miller, was the son and only child of H. Miller Sproull Sr. and Sara Powers Sproull. She died within days after Miller was born; Sproull senior died when Miller was 21.
Sproull Sr. was the son of James Creswell Sproull. He had three sisters: Caroline Sproull Knight, who married Roy; Virginia Sproull Weatherly, who married Clay; and Catherine Sproull Hamilton, who married Ralph Hamilton, one of three Hamilton sons of Tobe Hamilton. One of the sons, Charles Hamilton, became a benefactor to several local institutions, including the hospital, the Boys Club and the YMCA.
• James Creswell Sproull, born in 1856, came to Anniston from Rome, Ga., in 1887 and founded Anniston Hardware, which, when telephones were installed, had the number 1.
C. Charles William Sproull
In census records Charles used his middle name “William”.
#1 married to Susan Barnett (or Bamet)of Abbeville. She died a year after the marriage. #2 married in 1853 to Mary Catherine Creswell, 1834 – 1894.
“Catherine” Creswell was a descendant of four Rev. War. Patriots:
Her parents were James Creswell and Caroline M. Williams
Her grand parents were Washington Williams & Sarah Griffin; Elihu Creswell & Katherine Mayson
Her great grand parents were James Williams & Mary Wallace;
Rev. James Creswell & Mary Elizabeth Garlington;
Col. James Mayson & Ann ______;
Col. Richard Griffin & Mary Lipscomb.
Entries: 6838 Updated: 2009-03-17 01:45:05 UTC (Tue) Contact: Hans Hammer
Index | Individual | Descendancy | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Public Profile
Descendant Register, Generation No. 1
1. James Creswell Sproull (Charles W. Sproull1) was born 8 Aug 1856 in South Carolina, USA, and died 26 Sep 1923 in Calhoun County, Alabama, USA. He was buried in Edgemont Cemetery, Anniston, Calhoun, Alabama, USA. He married Allie Miller. She was born 29 May 1869 in Tennessee, USA, and died 26 Mar 1957 in Calhoun County, Alabama, USA. She was buried in Edgemont Cemetery, Anniston, Calhoun, Alabama, USA.
Children of James Creswell Sproull and Allie Miller are:
+ 2 i. Horace Miller Sproull was born ABT 1893 in Alabama, USA, and died 12 Oct 1941 in Chambers County, Alabama, USA.
3 ii. Virginia Sproull was born ABT 1902 in Alabama, USA.
4 iii. Catherine Sproull was born ABT 1906 in Alabama, USA.
Filed under: 1850-1899, 1900-1949, Abbeville County - SC, Alabama, Calhoun County - AL, Collateral Kin, Family Groups, Family Tree, Leads, Possible Connections, Possible Kin, Regions, Spruiell | Leave a comment »